INDUSTRY CONTRIBUTION TO CHANGE IN REAL GDP
With the latest data, we now have a clear picture of economic growth for 2017, which illustrates the move toward overall stability and recovery in some industries that we’ve seen in the last few years.
• Government of Saskatchewan. Economic Review 2017, August 2018.
• Government of Saskatchewan. Economic Review 2017, July 2017.
• Saskatchewan Dashboard. Gross Domestic Product. https://dashboard.saskatchewan.ca/business-economy/key-economic-indicators/gross-domestic-product.
SASKATOON NEW BUSINESSES
In 2018, the City of Saskatoon Business License Program issued 1,349 new business licenses (566 commercial and 783 home-based businesses). The number of new home-based businesses continues to exceed the number of new commercial/industrial businesses. While this number is a little lower than the city’s 2017 record high of 1,429 new business licenses, the average annual growth rate in business licenses since 2014 has been 2.3%.
• Annual Report of Business Information for the City of Saskatoon, Business Profile, 2017.
• City of Saskatoon website: https://www.saskatoon.ca/business-development/economic-profile/economic-profile-trends.
STATE OF TALENT ENTERING SASKATCHEWAN MARKETPLACE
Saskatchewan youth have the talent and drive to succeed in the labour market. Our youth are working hard to acquire the skills and experience they need to kick-start their careers and help Saskatchewan employers find the talent they need to grow their businesses. The number of credentials issued by Saskatchewan post-secondary institutions has risen 6% over the past five years. Credentials include certificates, diplomas, and degrees.
Here’s what this talent looks like:
• Universities Canada. 2018 full-time and part-time fall enrolment at Canadian universities https://www.univcan.ca/universities/facts-and-stats/enrolment-by-university.
• Statistics Canada. Table 37-10-0011-01 Postsecondary enrolments, by program type, credential type, Classification of Instructional Programs, Primary Grouping (CIP_PG), registration status and sex.
• Statistics Canada. Table 37-10-0023-01 Number of apprenticeship program registrations.
• Government of Saskatchewan, Ministry of Advanced Education, Annual Report for 2017-18 http://publications.gov.sk.ca/documents/15/107596-2017-18%20AdvancedEducationAnnualReport.pdf.
• Saskatchewan Labour and Education, 2016 Census of Canada, November 29, 2017 https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/government-data/bureau-of-statistics/population-and-census.
First published in the June 2019 edition of The Business Advisor.